Tuesday 10th September: Lesson 2 with bit of lesson 3
In this lesson we......
1. Practiced pronunciation by reading lesson 1 vocab aloud.
For a game to test your Lesson 1 vocab, click here.
For a game to test your lesson 2 vocab, click here.
2. Listened to a short Warlpiri conversation:
Person A: Ngurrju mayi-npa? (How are you?)
Person B: Yuwayi, ngurrjurna. (I'm well)
Also learnt 'Lawa, majurna' (No, I'm not well)
Introduced use of pronouns in Warlpiri. English only has one type of personal pronoun (I, you, he etc). Warlpiri uses this form as well as a pronoun ending on ka:
*There's no ending on ka.
For a complete list of [the many!] Warlpiri pronouns, click here
Last week's simple sentences:
We built on these to add verbs:
Other sentence examples:
1. Wati ka nyinami - The man is sitting
2. Marlu ka karrimi - The kangaroo is standing
3. Ngunami ka kurdu - The child is lying down
4. Ngaju karna nyinami - I am sitting
5. Nyuntu kanpa karrimi - You are standing
6. Mailiki ka ngunami - The dog is lying down
7. Ngunami ka maliki - The dog is lying down
8. Karnta mayi nyampuju? - Is this a woman?
9. Lawa, wati ka nyampuju - No, this is a man
10. Yaliji wati mayi? - Is that man over there?
11. Yuwayi, yaliji wati - Yes, it's a man
12. Ngapa ka ngunami yaliji - The water is standing over there